Friday, December 30, 2005

Love one another

===========================================

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved, as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to
eternal life.

- Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

===========================================

"I give you a new commandment: love one another.
As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.
This is how all will know that you are my disciples,
if you have love for one another."

- Gospel of John, Chapter 13, Verses 34-35

===========================================

5 Comments:

At Saturday, December 31, 2005 7:49:00 PM, Blogger L. said...

I`ve always liked the Franciscan prayer -- and the Franciscans, too. In fact, the other married priest I know is a Franciscan (or maybe "was" in his case - I didn`t ask). I got the kids baptized at the Franciscan Chapel in Tokyo.

And now we`re in San Francisco, appropriately enough.

 
At Sunday, January 01, 2006 6:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only married priest I know is/was Jesuit.

There's a lovely musical version of that prayer that I always used as a lullaby for my kids when they were teeny. Sweetly soothing for them, and calming,too, for an exhausted and frazzled young mother, too, who without those comforting words was uncomfortably close to giving her beloved offspring a solid shake...

Close, but I never did! Was that an answer to prayer?

 
At Sunday, January 01, 2006 7:47:00 PM, Blogger jw said...

L. the only Fransiscan I've known in SF is Barry Brunsman. Know him?
Mary, yes, prayers are answered. You have been blessed.

 
At Monday, January 02, 2006 9:31:00 PM, Blogger L. said...

Nope, don`t know Barry. I knew a guy named Hugh Something (Leonard, perhaps?) an elderly Irish guy, formely at the Franciscan Chapel in Tokyo (decades ago) and now in Los Angeles, where he runs a consulting business. He knew my husband from work, and he and his wife invited our family over to their house for dinner. My husband didn`t fill me in on his background, so I asked him, "What did you do in Japan?" And he said, "I was a Roman Catholic priest!" And I said, "Oh....!!!!"

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2006 11:26:00 PM, Blogger jw said...

Test comment. (Hi, all!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home