Sunday, February 19, 2006

Religious topic: Baptism, Post #2

In my previous post "Religious topic: Baptism, At What Age?" I focused on the purposes of baptism and how various churches focused on different aspects of the purposes. I also showed that because of those different focuses the ages for baptism vary among churches because those different purposes emphasis different ages.

I am writing a second post on the subject of the age for baptism because the comments of my readers indicate some serious concerns.

Most of the commenters are concerned that people to be baptized should be old enough to make a conscious decision on their own, understand clearly what they are choosing, and make a commitment to living that religious choice.

The issue of being born as sinners and the need to have a conversion from sinful ways to God's ways was mentioned. Because of the need for conversion, commenters believed that the age for baptism needed to be old enough for persons to make a conscious decision about such a conversion.

Those beliefs in sinfulness and conversion are also held by most of the Christian churches and in those churches their procedures and ceremonies for adult baptism emphasize those issues.

The churches that emphasis baptism at early childhood ages look at baptism as being a way for the person to grow up already in a church that has turned away from the sinful nature of human beings. Those churches indicate that children baptized so early must continue to be educated in their faith so that as they grow they will accept the understandings of what baptism is all about and be able to live in those ways. Those churches also accept baptism as adults and young adults.

Also pointed out by commenters was the Christian belief that Jesus' passion, death and resurrection have already provided salvation for everyone. Most Christian churches believe that and also believe that individuals, through baptism, accept and are bought into Jesus' salvation.

There are some people who believe that Jesus' salvific acts were once for all and that people do not really have to do anything (like baptism or join a church) in order to be saved - - they are already saved by Jesus' actions. Most, but not all, churches believe that unbaptized people who live a good moral life can achieve salvation and go to heaven upon their deaths.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (section 1213) says:
"Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."

7 Comments:

At Thursday, February 23, 2006 10:09:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Just saying hi. Good post. Thorough

 
At Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger jw said...

Four days and no comments. Granny, I think that this topic is complete.

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006 4:57:00 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

sorry slow on reading this very preoccupied. Have you added this blog to any search engine thingys. I am pretty sure you actually understand me.;-)

I actually did not understand any of this post and have to read over and over again before my totally non-sunday school brain gets it. duh, hehe

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006 9:57:00 AM, Blogger jw said...

Hi, Andrea,

My last post was actually kind of boring. Its purpose was to be a summary response to the many comments of the last post and to conclude the topic. Since it did not receive any comments then I think that it accomplished what I intended. When you say that you did not understand it, that is OK, since I was trying to hit on some of the subtle "deep" stuff that only some people care about.

As far as search engines, since I have added Site Meter I can see that my blog is being found by several search engines. That is very interesting to see. What I find is that people are searching on such topics as:
married priest
abortion
sin
baptism
cursive writing

Interesting that over half of the searches that find my site are looking for "cursive writing". There appears to be a lot of interest in that topic, which really surprises me.

I have not specifically submitted my site to any search engines. Google, which owns Blogger, obviously indexes my site, since most search referrals come from Google. MSN and earthlink also send referals. I have not registered with Technorati but I do get referrals from their search engine.

So, new topic and new post soon.

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006 6:22:00 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Jw,
Sorry the Olympics had a hold of my brain these last few nights.
If you want I can comment. I love these doctorine debates. It gets people thinking. Watch out though I was talking about this blog to a few friends. You maybe getting more comments like mine. If you want to check out what I believe and what type of church I attend go to www.covlife.org Our Senior Pastor is Joshua Harris. The former pastor was CJ Mahaney. Google them to find their blogs and other info on them. These are two great Theological minds and authors to boot.

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006 6:40:00 PM, Blogger jw said...

Hi, Jen. Glad to hear from you again. Everyone is welcome. More comments are welcome also, even on old posts (the blog website sends me an e-mail every time anyone leaves a comment, so I don't miss seeing them).

 
At Monday, March 06, 2006 12:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi JW, I am very late, though I've been meaning to get back to these since you first posted them. I appreciate you exploring this topic. And I especially appreciate the Catechism you included. I understand the concerns about letting an individual choose baptism and truly understanding what it means. However, I think there is an added element for myself as a parent (I'll be getting my son baptized as a baby). I think baptism is a beautiful ceremony and for me, as an adult, it's not just entry into the church, it's entry into "the mysteries of faith", the unknown and divine potential of the universe. And, in a way, when you bring a child into this world you're already initiating them into the mystery of the divine as well as the concrete world. The ceremony of baptism almost feels like an acknowledgment of that life, born within the duality of divinity and baseness, a celebration of that child's place and the nature of the human condition. As a parent the idea of baptism is deeply fulfilling to me even if my son does not understand it yet.

If that makes any sense at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home