Thursday, March 30, 2006

Bad Car Day

Update (May 5, 2006): This morning some guys knocked on my door and asked if the old car was for sale. I explained the bad condition of the car and they offered $700. SOLD!

This picture may look like I am getting my car towed to the repair shop. Quite the opposite. This is coming BACK from the repair shop WITHOUT any repairs.



Apparently the engine is in bad shape. It has been overheating so the head gasket is blown and probably some other bad stuff is ruined. It is a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire.

To fix it they want $3,500 for a new engine. Kelley Blue Book says the car might be worth $1,000 with a working engine. So, it is just not worth it to repair the thing.

Since I am currently unemployed I will not be able to get a loan to purchase another car. Solution: get a job ! I don't have any money for a downpayment since my current savings will probably only get me through one more month of house payment, child support, health insurance, and utilities. Again, solution: get a job.

I do have another "old" vehicle, a 1984 Chevy Suburban but it only gets 11 miles per gallon and right now it probably needs its battery replaced.

7 Comments:

At Thursday, March 30, 2006 4:35:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Oh wow, what a downer. I had to replace my 92 Caravan right before Christmas when I had reached the point of throwing good money after bad.

My "new" 98 Olds Silhouette was a nice Christmas present or would have been if I didn't have pay for it.

 
At Friday, March 31, 2006 4:00:00 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

eekk, i am not looking forward to owning a car again. I say get a bike, it will help you with the blood pressure and then that driving job you wanted!!

 
At Saturday, April 01, 2006 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Andie D. said...

In a city like ours, with ess aych eye tee for public transportation, one really needs a car to get to work. And you need work to own a car.

Catch 22!

Have you considered working with a temp (or temp to perm) agency? The good thing is that they could give you work while you continue to look, and/or place you with a company that could end up as permanent.

 
At Saturday, April 01, 2006 11:35:00 PM, Blogger jw said...

Catch 22 is right. The bicycle is handy for places within about two miles. But my bike does not have lights so tonight I walked to Wendy's for dinner. Tomorrow I will work on the battery for my old Suburban. I have a guy who wants to give me a ride to take the battery to the store.

Temp work. The last time that I was out of work was 19 years ago. I did temp work then. I did word processing and teaching word processing. It was kind of fun but it did not pay much. One day I did word processing at a Payne Webber office. The vice president in charge of the office had a computer problem so I helped him and then showed him how to do some tricky stuff. He then hired me to work for a week doing computer stuff (he paid three times what the temp agency paid - - of course that was a violation of the temp agency's work agreement, but...). So, yes I have thought about temp stuff again, but, Catch 22, I would need the car.

Also back then I advertised to do electrical installations - - usually adding telephone jacks to homes and offices. That was pretty good business. One time I got, "Well, as long as you are in the attic, could you install a ceiling fan for us?" When I get a car I was planning to try that gig again, now days I can add computer wiring to my ads. By the way my best jobs came from doctors who read Penny Saver.

Sunday Want Ads are the next opportunity. More later.

 
At Wednesday, April 05, 2006 11:47:00 AM, Blogger jw said...

I've been riding the bike a lot. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a back pack. Then I went the grocery side of Wal-Mart and filled the back pack. I now have some food in the house.

Yesterday I took a taxi and got a new battery for the old Suburban.

 
At Monday, March 12, 2018 6:20:00 PM, Anonymous Best head gasket sealer said...


Great post! I wish I had as much knowledge as you when it comes to motors. Have you ever check out this blog on the best head gasket sealers ?

 
At Monday, February 11, 2019 5:38:00 AM, Blogger Salequick said...

We offer Credit Card Processing for Automotive Shops, Auto Repair Payment Processing, Payment Processing for Automotive Shops, services to integrates with the shop's existing management system.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home