Thursday, August 24, 2006

Misspelled Words

Today I came accross a list of the top ten most misspelled city names (apparently only U.S. cities are on this list). Of course, my city is on the list.

1. Pittsburgh
2. Tucson
3. Cincinnati
4. Albuquerque
5. Culpeper
6. Asheville
7. Worcester
8. Manhattan
9. Phoenix
10. Niagara Falls

(I note which cities of some of my readers are NOT on that list: Ottawa, Merced, Vancouver, Richmond, San Francisco.)

So then I looked for lists of regular (American) English language words that are commonly misspelled. I found a lot of such lists. Here are two lists.

One list:
1. minuscule
2. millennium
3. embarrassment
4. occurrence
5. accommodate
6. perseverance
7. supersede
8. noticeable
9. harass
10. inoculate

Another list:
1. independent
2. accommodation
3. definitely
4. receive
5. opportunities
6. their
7. occurred
8. information
9. official
10. activities

This site produced the first list and has a lot of interesting comments:
http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/spell/error.html

Other common misspellings that I run across as I read blogs are really errors where people don't know the proper usage of certain words.
than vs. then
their vs. there vs. they're
it's vs. its vs. it is
your vs. you're vs. you are
were vs. where
I vs. me
to vs. too
are vs. our

Now for the gender-specific vs. politically correct (!):
policeman vs. police officer
fireman vs. fire fighter
mailman vs. letter carrier
actress vs. actor

This could go on and on (and I am sure some commenters will add their favorite spelling gripes - - please do! Canadians and UK'ers are excused!!!!)

9 Comments:

At Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:12:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

phase and faze

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:14:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

Re your and you're, to and too, etc.

I know the difference but sometimes I'll look at a post and see I've used the wrong one. They're typos. My brain and my fingers don't seem to connect.

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Andie D. said...

I do the same as Granny. I know better. My fingers, however, do not.

Here's a pilot PC one:

Flight Attendant vs. "Stewardess".

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 5:26:00 PM, Blogger Haley said...

Oh spelling...Mum can vouche for the fact that I did not inherit one single bit of the spelling genes. My brother was correcting my spelling by the time he was seven (and I was fourteen). Thank heavens for spell checks...

 
At Monday, September 04, 2006 8:23:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

affect vs effect

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 7:53:00 PM, Blogger L. said...

UPDATE YOUR BLOG!!!!

 
At Monday, December 25, 2006 3:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice site

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 9:09:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

L. must have been tapping her fingers looking for a post too. I hadn't seen this one.

Merced, CA - spelled correctly of course but you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to pronounce it.

Two syllables - Mer sed - accent on 2nd.

 
At Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home