Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Da Vinci Code - Movie

The The Da Vinci Code movie made its debut in American theatres yesterday.

Last night I went and saw the movie. I found it to be interesting entertainment. I have the book but I have not read it yet.

There are many controvertial issues being raised about the movie. At this time I am not going to discuss those issues in detail. I will say that since I am aware of most of those issues, if the movie is seen as fiction that uses true or partial facts as starting points then it is an enjoyable fictional film.

The problem with the movie that is expressed by many opponents is that though the movie (and the book) starts with facts or partial facts it takes liberties with how those facts develop. Even though the development of those should be clearly fictional, the opponents fear that unsophisticated people will be mislead into thinking that the developments described in the movie and book are truthful.

Here are some links to websites that list and discuss the objectionable issues:


DaVinci Outreach at:
http://www.davincioutreach.com/



Cracking The Da Vinci Code at:
http://www.catholic.com/library/cracking_da_vinci_code.asp


If you want to discuss issues in the comments I will be glad to follow up. I am not a scholar in most of the issues that have been raised, but I will research and find answers.

The movie's stars: Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou

7 Comments:

At Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:46:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

I may watch the dvd. My son liked the book but it's more his thing than mine.

 
At Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:44:00 PM, Blogger L. said...

I haven`t read the book yet, and I try not to see movies until I`ve read the book.

And thanks for the exact Latin translation on my blog!

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:22:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Dr. Albert Mohler spoke at my church about this movie. To listen click on the link below. You can chose to listen online or download it. Dr. Mohler spoke on 05.07.2006. For those of you who don't know who Al Mohler is here is part of his bio
Dr. R. Albert Mohler, Jr., serves as the ninth president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary-the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention and one of the largest seminaries in the world.
Dr. Mohler has been recognized by influential publications such as Time and Christianity Today as a leader among American evangelicals. In fact, Time.com called him the "reigning intellectual of the evangelical movement in the U.S." Dr. Mohler hosts a daily live nationwide radio program on the Salem Radio Network. He also writes a daily commentary on theological, moral and cultural issues for Crosswalk.com. He is a frequent guest on national and international news outlets and is a popular preacher, teacher and lecturer.

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:23:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Forgot to put the link in! http://www.covlife.org/tools/sermons.php

I hope you enjoy

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:06:00 PM, Blogger jw said...

Jen,

I listened to Dr. Mohler's sermon about the DaVinci Code. He covered the controversial topics very well and he gave some interesting background for the Council of Nicea. He apparently believes that Dan Brown purposely intended his writings to oppose the Catholic Church.

When I watched the movie I saw the plot and issues develop which could be conceived as anti-christian. But I did not take them as clear attempts to confront Christianity. I saw them simply as the development of interconnected themes for the purpose of telling a story. I saw it as fiction and, at the most, speculation about possibilities.

So far I have only seen the movie. I plan to read the book and pay closer attention to how the author presents his story development.

I don't think that Dan Brown or Ron Howard are challenging Christianity. The book and movie have however provided a good occasion for Christians to reexamine their own beliefs and possibly learn more for themselves.

- - Jerry

 
At Sunday, June 18, 2006 9:37:00 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I saw the movie and have read the book. I loved the book and enjoyed the movie. If anything both have made people look deeper, research more and search for more understanding in Jesus and God. The popularity of the book just shows that people really were interested and ready to explore these issues. Those that questioned - researched. In terms of the catholic church and even Christianity I can only see good in that and not bad.

 
At Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favorite character is silas.
he's the best. there's 3 videos of him on youtube.
here are the links:
1.http://youtube.com/watch?v=r3NnUzG50eA
2.http://youtube.com/watch?v=i_CTHN_4SxU
3.http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yofV-hbhHo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home