Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Back home

A week of visiting and traveling has come to an end.

Before this past school year began, my ex-wife moved across the country to Virginia. She took my youngest son, Jason, with her. This was his last year of high school (12th grade).

On Wednesday, June 7th, Jason's high school had their graduation ceremony (in Richmond, Virginia, USA). I was really glad to be there. His mother and I cheered him from the crowd.













Jason turned 18 years old two months ago. Being legally an adult, he decided that after graduation he wanted to move back to my house in Arizona. He has acquired too much stuff to just hop on an airplane, so we rented a U-Haul truck and spent all day Thursday loading up his furniture, TV, computers, and many boxes of other stuff.



On Friday, June 9th, we climbed into the U-Haul truck and headed out.




The phone call.
On Saturday, June 10th, my cell phone rang and it indicated that the call was coming from my home in Phoenix. Had my other son visited my house? No, it was a Phoenix Police officer. He said that my neighbor had found my house's front door kicked in and the door was open. The police officer said that they had searched the house and no one was there. He said that the place looked a bit ransacked. I told him that was really my fault since the house was really a mess when I left. I asked him if any police officers were injured climbing over all of the messy stuff that I had everywhere. He laughed and said, "No."

I called my oldest son, John, in Prescott, Arizona, where he is going to college and where he is staying for the summer sessions. John immediately headed for Phoenix (about two hours away). When John got to the house he reported that he did not see anything stolen - - TV's, stereo, and several computers were all in place. I called my insurance company and they sent a contractor over to patch up the front door. After that, John loaded the more important computers into his car and went back to Prescott.

Since we were then anxious to get home and see the "mess" at my house, Jason and I drove longer days in order to get home sooner. We did not really have much of a travel plan but since I rarely travel across the country I had hoped to be able to make several stops along the way. Instead we concentrated on distance each day.

Yesterday, June 13th, we arrived back in Arizona. First we stopped in Prescott to pick up the computers from my oldest son. Then we arrived at home. After going through the patched up door we saw that the house looked mostly like I had left it - - a mess. But there was added mess in the bedrooms where all of the dresser drawers had been emptied out. (Looking for hidden money or jewelry? - - No, not in my house!)

We still have not discovered anything taken during the break-in, except, I would swear that there were two 2 Liter bottles of Dr. Pepper in the refrigerator when I left (because that is Jason's favorite drink), but we only found one bottle in the refrigerator when we got here. So I am declaring that the only property taken by the thieves was a bottle of Dr. Pepper. (I actually told that to the insurance claims adjuster this morning. Along with the front door replacement that should be under my $500 insurance deductible.)

The big project for today is to unload the U-Haul truck. Next project: clean up the house!!!!!

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:54:00 PM, Blogger Granny said...

What possesses some people I wonder.

Glad no one was there to be hurt and nothing was missing.

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:47:00 PM, Blogger jw said...

Hi, Mary and Ann,

And the guts they had coming in through the front door in Arizona where so many people have guns (non-concealed side arms are legal without any permits in Arizona). Though I don't have any guns in my house, if I had been here baseball bats would have been flying!

The front door is a wood door with panels (they kicked through the panels). But the outside was badly weathered. I had considered sanding it down and refinishing it or just replacing the whole door. I think that my decision has been made for me.

The back door to the house was kicked in fifteen years ago. We replaced that with a solid wood door and all hardware uses six inch screws. (They caught that guy six months later while he was breaking into another house. He kept a list in his pocket of all of the houses he had previously broken into!).

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:56:00 PM, Blogger L. said...

Welcome back!

Sorry for your "breaking and entering" experience, but glad you only lost a door and a carbonated beverage!

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that your house was broken in to. Thanks for leaving a message on my blog or rather a couple of questions. :)
In answer to your questions, my husband is a SMSGT in the Air Force and will be stationed at Luke Air Force Base. We found a very lovely home in Surprise. We actually won't be in Arizona until around July 17th or 18th. I will start my job hunt soon after.
Also, tell your son congratulations! on graduating.

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daugthers stephanie's favorite drink is Dr Pepper. I told her about your break-in and the heist of the Dr Pepper. She nearly had a heart attack. She thinks you should hunt down the criminals. :)
Just kiddin....but she did shrill when I mentioned the missing Dr Pepper.

 
At Sunday, June 18, 2006 9:33:00 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

well I am glad the computer wasnt stollen!!! That would have been a travesty!
hehe
Glad everyone is safe and sound. Congratualtions to your son for gratuating and it must have been a sweet Fathers Day to have him at home.
Hugs to you and good luck!

 
At Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How strange! I'm sorry for your "break in". It was probably just neighborhood kids. I knew guys growing up who would break into houses under construction and steal the toilet paper. They thought that was a hoot.

Congrats to your son on his graduation. And Happy Father's Day to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home